Popular Posts

Monday, June 4, 2012

Getting soaked on this deal

















AUBURN, Maine - For the moment, my vegetable garden no longer looks like the wetlands of the Louisiana Bayou. The wind-swept monsoons that washed out roads and flooded neighborhoods along of the state's overflowing rivers have abated.
The deluge began Saturday evening and didn't stop for nearly 24 hoursBut on-and-off heavy showers continue to make life dismal and damp for most of Maine. So far, nearly seven inches of rain have soaked the Pine Tree State. According to meteorologists, the rain won't fade away until Wednesday.
The Androscoggin River continues to swell, causing Great Falls to erupt with tons of water. The shallow banks along the river are disappearing as visitors brave the rain to snap shots or film the fast-moving water.
But who knows how long my garden will last in a nasty storm with no ending. And I will probably be mowing my lawn every 48 hours for the rest of the summer to keep it from growing like the Mekong jungle.
Weathermen saw this one coming last week when they began talking about a blocking high pressure system and a stationary low. I knew what that meant. That's when I went into a deep depression and began cursing Mother Nature's unkindness toward gardeners and farmers. It seems the old lady is always out to get us.
Every summer, this disheartening and plant-killing weather combination appears and makes me want throw in my hoe and shovel and plant grass instead of vegetables.
But I might have done something really smart to prevent a bunch of casualties in my underwater vegetable garden.
After cutting the lawn a couple of days before this soaker ravaged the state, I placed thick piles of grass clippings around my plants, and this may have absorbed the water and helped with the drainage in my garden.
Of course, a week of bright sunshine would be a welcomed sight for all green thumbs who have had their fingers crossed during these relentless downpours.
After all, we are the folks who bring good food to life.

No comments:

Out and about

Take a walk on the wild side around New England's outdoors. Come walk with my son and I as we explore state parks, historic sites, and creepy cemeteries. This is the good stuff in life, and there is nothing worth watching on television, anyway. Join us as we take advantage of Maine's beaches and pristine forests. In between our sojourns through the Pine Tree State, look for political insight and a few well-written opinion pieces as well.