Popular Posts

Thursday, June 14, 2012

A word to the wise


Dear Mr. President,
Your remark concerning the private sector fell into the category of "What were you thinking of, sir."
Mr. President, your comment was a slap in the face to the nearly 15 million Americans who can't find a job in an economy that rivals the Great Depression. And please don't tell me that only nine million Americans are unemployed. The number is far greater than what is being reported in the media.
Despite all the nonsense on YouTube, Twitter and Facebook, Americans are tuned in and are simply disgusted with their nation's so-called leaders.
During one of my classes, seniors and I were discussing the poor economy. One bright student said, "That's all we have ever known." Its remark that I have never forgotten and it is comment that should not sit well with you, sir.
By the way, Mr. President, I am a Democrat who is also an Independent wannabe and dreams of a presidential candidate who can demonstrate common sense and has a clear understanding of the phrase, "We the people."
I am not a Republican and I am not writing this letter to lambaste you. The GOP is doing a grand job of using your miscue as fodder to dominate the news cycles.  This will become one of the GOP's favorite campaign ads using your own words.
President Obama, Maine Street has been disappearing and empty neighborhoods have become a sea of repossessed homes. We are a nation that is now home to the under-employed who live day to day, never mind week to week. We have NOT come out of the recession. I know many fellow Americans who share my sentiment.
We fight wars in the Middle East with the foolish notion of spreading freedom with tanks and bombs. I do commend you on your drone program to destroy Al Qaeda and making that difficult decision of placing our soldiers in harm's way to remove bin Laden, but our involvement in the Middle East to protect oil companies is sucking our economy dry.
Mr. President, the private sector is a shambles. Thanks to greedy CEOs and Wall Street, and the fact that we exploit Asians and Hispanics to produce our goods, Americans are lucky to find jobs as store greeters. Of course, thanks to the enormous expense of attending a reputable university, our sons and daughters can look forward to vying for jobs as underpaid clerks at fledging department stores and gas stations.
Sure, there is plenty of blame to go around. We could begin with the last president and then move right on to corrupt banks and indifferent politicians who forgot that they represent us. I know you were handed the keys to a nation treading water, and it really is the most difficult job in the world. Still, your comment was out of step with what you truly believe.
Sir, I voted for you and I will vote for you again because Mitt Romney is about appealing to me as an abscess tooth. 
President Obama, there are many reasons why I find you appealing as a second-term president, but I am not writing a letter of praise.
But please take a good look around the country and you will see many Americans slipping into poverty.  It doesn't say much about the private sector, does it, sir!
Despite my reservations, and that fact that the GOP's candidate is just another drumbeater for big business, I will vote for you. 
You have my word, but be more careful how you choose yours, sir. Your re-election to a second term depends on it.

No comments:

Out and about

Take a walk on the wild side around New England's outdoors. Come walk with my son and I as we explore state parks, historic sites, and creepy cemeteries. This is the good stuff in life, and there is nothing worth watching on television, anyway. Join us as we take advantage of Maine's beaches and pristine forests. In between our sojourns through the Pine Tree State, look for political insight and a few well-written opinion pieces as well.