Popular Posts

Friday, January 7, 2011

A son who always shines




To a fine young man who makes me proud




When I lifted you from the crib
and pressed your delicate head next to my chin
I enjoyed the smell and touch of your smooth skin
Your wide eyes were always searching my soul
And still you have always made me feel whole
You are my infant son who occupies
a father's heart filled with love and hope
I never liked putting you back down
In fact, I would frown when you struggled
in my arms to touch the ground
And now, you no longer need me to carry you places
Your long limbs and strong back
will easily take you to these open and unexplored spaces
I will always miss the bliss of holding you tight to my chest
even though there times when there was no time for me to rest
And yet, although I was sleep deprived,
you always made me feel alive with your bright smile
And as the years pass, and my gray hair becomes sparse
Do me a favor and allow an old man to still hug you tight
So that I may savor those memories
of a child who showered me with delight
and pointed me toward the light
I
- Anthony Blasi

No comments:

Out and about

Take a walk on the wild side around New England's outdoors. Come walk with my son and I as we explore state parks, historic sites, and creepy cemeteries. This is the good stuff in life, and there is nothing worth watching on television, anyway. Join us as we take advantage of Maine's beaches and pristine forests. In between our sojourns through the Pine Tree State, look for political insight and a few well-written opinion pieces as well.