Popular Posts

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Leading you down the garden path






My garden made it through the rain
I kept my garden protected
My garden made it through the rain
And found my garden was respected
By the other gardeners who
Got rained on too
And made it through

"I made it through the rain" - Barry Manilow



AUBURN, Maine - There is nothing like a Barry Manilow song to put gardening in perspective.
All farmers and master gardeners face an endless battle with the elements. Daily tussles with Mother Nature are part of the deal when you break ground and attempt to raise vegetables or flowers.
There is no luck involved when you count on good soil to bring delicious, pesticide-free vegetables to life. Knowledge has a lot to do with putting organic vegetables on the table.
Since May, I have watched a week's worth of rain batter my small plot of land, and later came the god damn bugs. Cucumber beetles began their assault and aphids joined the fray to ravage my plants.
I was reluctant to turn to pesticides, but expert Paul Parent, a gardener who also hosts a syndicated radio show about gardening, suggested using Garden 8. I haven't tried it yet, because I used something else, along with an organic soap that knocked off the bugs.
There was no way I would win this fight without turning to a pesticide or a soap to save my plants. And I was victorious, losing only one zucchini plant in my small war with the little critters.
I am looking at a bumper crop of summer squash, tomatoes, lettuce, broccoli, cucumbers, carrots, Swiss chard and zucchinis.
But there are no guarantees that I will reap what I sow, especially when confronting Mother Nature's whims.
A visit from the Mothman
We have made the other part of our home a refuge from the humidity and steamy temperatures. The air conditioner makes us feel human on those hot days.
I was in my room laying down to avoid the heat when something big, really big flew over my head. I thought it might be a bat. I reached for the light when I saw a lunar moth, which should have its own landing strip. These guys are huge.
This big boy had a wing span of about five inches and made a loud buzz when it strafed me.
I carefully captured the big fella and cut it loose just outside our front door. Remember, I am friend to all bugs - even the ones I bump off. It hung around for a while before heading for another destination. 
I could not help but wonder if I had just met a miniature version of Indrid Cold. If you don't know the name, sit through the terrifying movie, "The Monthman Prophecies."

A quiet celebration

Sure, we had the traditional cake to celebrate Anthony's birthday on Sunday, but while some families head to a restaurant, we went hiking along the coast and had a barbecue at a state park - Wolfe's Neck in Freeport.
The park features trails that line an inlet and an opportunity to watch nesting osprey at a nearby island, which is off limits to human beings. The views of the ocean are incredible.
When we do barbecue at Wolfe's Neck, our portable grill draws comments from other hikers. We picked it up at a yard sale.
A model of inspiration
Anthony's only request for his birthday was to build a model of the "Olympia," Admiral Dewey's flagship during the Spanish-American War.
It is an impressive warship that remains docked in Philadelphia. And there has been talk about scraping the old workhorse because it is expensive to maintain. Another sign of a nation that continues to wallow in a the throes of an economic debacle. We can't even send a man to the space station, and now we are talking about junking a national treasure.
There is plenty of blame to go around in Congress.
Anthony discovered the kit on Amazon. It was expensive, but it was a project that I knew would continue to fuel his passion for naval warships and expand his knowledge of history.
It took him four days to complete this difficult model. He is indeed a master builder.
Lawnmower man
Ever go running with your lawnmower?
I do every time I cut the lawn. I don't need a partner or leave my street. I just pull the cord on this self-propelled, gas-powered Sherman tank and cut grass. No matter how high the green stuff is, this tank makes mince meat out of grass. 
This beast is sold at Sears. It has rear-wheel drive and could drag me down the street when I put it in motion. This thing doesn't lose power even when the rear bag is full of clippings. 
I thought when I purchased this four-wheel machine it would make mowing easier. But now I get to go running on straight aways. The engine is American made courtesy of Briggs and Stratton.
Well, I've got to run - after my lawnmower.

No comments:

Out and about

Take a walk on the wild side around New England's outdoors. Come walk with my son and I as we explore state parks, historic sites, and creepy cemeteries. This is the good stuff in life, and there is nothing worth watching on television, anyway. Join us as we take advantage of Maine's beaches and pristine forests. In between our sojourns through the Pine Tree State, look for political insight and a few well-written opinion pieces as well.