Popular Posts

Monday, December 6, 2010

The gift

It was subtle act of kindness that brought great tidings of joy to a family of three during a season where everybody is enveloped by the holiday rush and all its madness.

The person responsible for providing this rare holiday magic without any fanfare was a gentleman who I see once a year for a 30 minutes each December. He is a hard-working man whose kind eyes and sincerity make him a memorable human being. He also understands that times are tough and families are trying to weather a withering recession.

Each Christmas, this man, who is unforgettable even though I inexcusably forget his name, hauls his trees from up north and sets up shop in Auburn, Maine, to sell his fine pine trees and make Christmas a lot more merry for his clientele.  But it really doesn't matter that we don't know each other by name because we figured out long ago what is really important in our lives.

He is the kind of guy who shakes your hand and adds a "God bless you" before you leave the lot with a tree sticking out of your trunk. And he means it, and that is why it is a privilege to purchase a tree from this honest man each season.

Over the years, we often had these brief but intense conversations about our children and how much we love them. We both understand the importance of raising children even though we have only spent about 30 minutes each year on a cold December afternoon discussing our priorities and loyalty to our family

This December was no different as we were greeted by his warm smile, and of course, one of his first questions was how my son was getting on in life. His considerate inquiries about my son made our quick seasonal encounters enjoyable, because my family is my lifeline and he obviously feels the same about his brood. While my wife, Terri, is the foundation in our home, Anthony is the centerpiece of our lives.

I asked him how he was doing as I checked my wallet for some cash when I was surprised to learn I didn't have enough money to cover the cost of purchasing the tree. He overheard me talking to my wife, and he asked me if I had a problem with money. I told him I was fine, but that I had to visit an ATM and rushed off in the car.

Now I know he would have worked something out if I could not have afforded one of his fine trees. He is that kind of rare human being who is not solely motivated by profit. 

When I returned to the lot, we walked up and down looking for a narrow tree to fit into our small parlor.

We made our decision after much discussion. The employee gave the tree a fresh cut. I reached for my wallet to pay for the $22.00 tree. He told me $15.00 would work for him. My eyes widened. I wasn't looking for a bargain because I know this family works hard to bring these majestic trees to market.

I asked him if he was sure about this last-minute offer. He smiled and said it was fine. We again spoke about my son before I rushed home to put our prized tree in the house.

Sure, the $7.00 would not break his bank account or make me any richer. It was the thought that counted. I gratefully shook his hand and wished him Merry Christmas.

My wife was stunned when I told her about this simple act of kindness. 

We both knew it wasn't about the money.

It was about one man's benevolence during a holiday that is supposed be about giving.

No comments:

Out and about

Take a walk on the wild side around New England's outdoors. Come walk with my son and I as we explore state parks, historic sites, and creepy cemeteries. This is the good stuff in life, and there is nothing worth watching on television, anyway. Join us as we take advantage of Maine's beaches and pristine forests. In between our sojourns through the Pine Tree State, look for political insight and a few well-written opinion pieces as well.